WIP: Cawdor Heavy Stubber

Time for another work in progress post, and a pretty exciting one at that! I’ve finally built my first model from the wonderful Cawdor box, and I’ve jumped straight to a conversion.

I wasn’t around when the original Necromunda was available, but after seeing some of the old metal Cawdor cultists with heavy stubbers (thanks, Azazel!) I got the idea of making my own, modern and plastic version. Now, I know there’s a heavy stubber in a Forge World weapon set, but as that costs almost as much as a new box of gangers, I can’t really justify getting it. Plus, making your own unique model is always cool! I ended up ordering a Chimera stubber from eBay for a couple of bucks, as it was the cheapest option and the scale looked about right.

In the Cawdor box there wasn’t a complete body that would’ve worked “as is”, so I needed to combine the body and arms from one assembly with the legs from another. Thankfully the sawing and glueing went much easier than expected, and the seam doesn’t stand out. Attaching the stubber was a bit fiddly and required slightly trimming the body/noose for the gun to fit as well as it could. The barrel was also shortened quite a bit, about a centimeter, to make it look more manageable (there’s “heroic scale” and then there’s “silly big”). The barrel might still be just a bit too thick, but as I don’t have the materials to scratch-build a new one, I say it’s close enough. The original ammo box was likewise way too big to use, but I found an ancient SM vehicle storm bolter from my bits box, which seems to fit very nicely. I finished the gun with a piece of an equally ancient CSM heavy bolter ammo belt. Finally, to balance the model a bit more I gave it a GSC heavy stubber backpack, which actually has ammo boxes on it quite similar to the storm bolter box!

Now, I don’t actually envision him to be a Cawdor ganger, strictly speaking, but an Imperial cultist wreaking havoc with Uriah Jacobus and friends. So rather than going with a stock Necromunda base I built a chapel-themed, tiled base. For added scene-setting I glued on some kind of a hose made out of greenstuff. Hopefully it’ll add some 40k techno flavor to the (eventually) white marble floors.

Looking at the pictures now I see there’s a couple of small things I need to fix/add to the model, but on the whole I’m really happy with how it has come out so far. The pose looks feasible and the gun functional, now I just have to think about the specifics of the color scheme!

From the Archives: Chaos Cultists

As I don’t have any new finished work to show this week, I’ll start bringing in my older, “pre-blog” minis. I thought it would be appropriate to start with the first group of minis I painted when I got back into the hobby in the summer of 2017.

Actually, let’s start with how I got back to the hobby, the sweet plastic crack! Like many, I first got into Warhammer (40k) when I was about 11-12, did it for a couple of years and lost interest. In the recent years, I had been occasionally checking out the local game shop and admired the GW miniatures on display, but the price of the minis was just too much, as I just wanted to try my hand at painting a few models again. Then in the summer of 2017 I was at a flea market, looking for old toy cars, when I spotted a cardboard box with some Warhammer art on (someone had also written “tin soldiers” on the side:). I thought it would contain someones badly painted first army, but to my surprise there were four boxes of brand new, still shrink-wrapped minis from various factions. The old guy selling asked me if 20€ would be a fair price, and I had no choice but to agree and purchase the lot!

Having gotten the models basically for free, I thought that it would be cheap to get back to painting. Then I went to the local game shop and bought about 100€ worth of GW paint pots! So much for pocket change hobbying.. But, after watching a whole lot of WHTV’s Duncan’s painting guides from Youtube, I painted my first models in roughly 15 years.

These Chaos Cultists were very much practice models, as I had/have no intention of starting a collection around them. I did learn a lot of new stuff with these guys, such as using primers is important especially without a painting handle (these guys are “primed” with Abaddon Black), thinning paints is good and that washes are talent in a bottle. Also I varnished these with an AP can, messed it up (most likely my fault) and haven’t dared to varnish any of my good models ever since..

Painting-wise, I was very happy with the red and most other colors, but the black looked very unfinished with just Abaddon base and Eshin Grey highlights. For the last two guys (on the left in the picture), I tried Eshin base and two coats of Nuln Oil, followed by Eshin highlights. This seemed to work better, and I’ve used that recipe ever since.

Right, that’s probably enough rambling, and not enough pictures. I only have that one picture of these guys though, and as they’re not anything special I did not bother taking new shots. The next post will most likely be more old stuff, but hopefully I’ll also get something new finished before too long.